Wednesday 19 February 2014

Mozart in the making

By ranjana S

Singing has been my passion since ages. I quite unabashedly pick up the slightest opportunity to sing. My heart puffs up to think that I am the quintessential Mozart in the making. However, my family and friends hold an altogether different opinion about my singing. They feel I have a baritone voice instead of a feminine one and my renditions are considered to be a boon for the newbie mothers in my kin as my soulful renditions are mistaken to be lullabies….so what their little ones doze off the moment I strike a note…I am sure it’s got to be the soothing effect my notes create on their psyche…the other day a score of donkeys scurried along to be at our doorstep while my singing was at its endearing best…am positive, my compositions hypnotize all and sundry. All nincompoops in the family…can’t appreciate a world class singer…I often smell of incorrigible envy on their part…

Last Sunday I was elated to know that my husband’s boss and his wife were to throw their wedding anniversary bash…I knew the time approached when at the party my hidden innate talent of singing will be discovered and lauded…hubby dear gave a curt glance at me and pronounced his caveat…Ranju, Beware…open your mouth only to gulp food and drinks…and for nothing else…How mean, my better half sometimes make me feel to be an expat in my own home…got to be the infamous incorrigible envy…hubbies can’t gulp down the fact that they have overtly talented wives…ha…!!!
The D-day approached…I donned my red shimmering attire which would compliment my red pout while I sing paeans…which I so passionately penned down…after the initial greetings, the hosts invited me to sing…look hubby dear, all are enamored already by the high quality singing I demonstrate….

I convinced hubby dear, that I will display my best and he can set his racing pulses to rest…can’t once he trust his wife’s singing acumen….I initiated my singing….my signature notes…which formed a crescendo gradually…and passion, panache all consumed me….I was at my best…..

BOOM….BOOM…..MY HEART SAYS…BOOM..BOOM….

After the culmination of the initial stanza…. I witnessed a catastrophe….all guests ran hither and thither and the pandemonium took …a toll on my vocal chords and ….my notes seemed to be extorted….Gracious Lord!!...soon I gathered senses and came to know that my soulful rendition of the paean…BOOM…BOMB…..BOMB (why on earth did I sing with an accent???) was utterly mistaken…..the hosts…the guests….all hurried and scurried out of the room fearing that a bomb was planted in the hall in all probability…and Ranju madam with her shrieks….made everyone abreast with the impending danger that could have befallen on all of us….

Soon the bomb diffusing squad carried out the search…and found no bomb…leaving hubby dear and me cold…my petrified and sullied face said it all…hubby dear pronounced this time not a caveat but a declaration….Ranju, you will never ever open your mouth….

We ambled back to home….and my dream of being the Mozart of the world was nipped in the bud….

No comments:

Post a Comment