Thursday 28 May 2015

Comparative and superlatives patterns



§  The comparative and than

§  The superlative

§  As.....as

§  Than me/than I am

»»»»» The comparative and than:

We often use a phrase with than after a comparitive.

This hall is nicer than the Town Hall.
I have a bigger house than you.
The steak is more expensive than the fish.

»»»» The superlative:

We usually use the before a superlative.
We will adopt the quickest method.
This is the most difficult problem.

Note the pattern with "one of ".

Dorris is one of the most famous dentists ever.

After a superlative we can use in or of. We use in with places and with groups of people, e.g. team.

It's the most expensive hotel in New Jesrsey.
Who is the best participant in the game?
This question is the most difficult of all.
We often use a clause after a superlative.
That was the most interesting story that I've ever heard.
Sarah is the nicest person you could meet.


»»»» As.......as

We use as.....as to say that things are equal or unequal.

Our car is as spacious as yours.
It's warmer today. It isn't as cold as yesterday.

In a negative sentence we can also use so...as, but this is less common than as....as.

This yacht isn't as big as/so big as our old one.
The result of the match was the same as last year.
We can't drive as swiftly as you do.

»»»» Than me/ than I am:

Both are correct, and have the same meaning:

You're ten years younger than me.
You're ten years younger than I am.

Peter isn't as tall as him.
Peter isn't as tall as he is.


After than or as, a personal pronoun on its own has the object form, e.g. me.
However, if the pronoun has a verb after it, then we use the subject form, e.g.I.



No comments:

Post a Comment