Tuesday 27 January 2015

What's the difference between "Will have done" and "was going to" in usage?

Let's discuss please......



Will have done:

Look at the following illustration:

·         Timmy: Sarah, what time will you be home?
·         Sarah: I'll have finished shopping by half past ten, so I should be home at eleven.

We use will have + a past participle (the future perfect) for something that will be over in the future.

Sarah is thinking of a future time (half past ten). At half past ten she will be in a position to say: I have finished shopping.

Look at these illustrations:

·         I'm looking at these snaps, but I'll have had enough by lunch-time.
·         Peter and Rachel will have lived here for six years next July.
·         This argument is going to last ages. They won't have finished it until midnight.
·         Will you have completed your practice by the time your mom comes to pick you up?
·         Yes, I'll have finished it by then.

We often use the future perfect with expressing of time such as by lunch-time, until midnight, before then, by the time you have to take it back.

Was going to:

Look at the following illustration:

·         Sarah: You haven't repaired the car.
·         Timmy: I was going to do it yesterday, but I had a terrible headache.

We can use be going to in the past tense to express an intention in the past. Timmy intended to repair the car yesterday. The intended action did not happen. In fact, Timmy didn't repair the car.

Look at some more illustrations:

·         I was going to clean the room, but I didn't find time.
·         Isabella wasn't going to spend any money, but she saw a pullover she just had to buy.
·         Mary walked away just as I was going to speak to her.
·         The boys left early. They were going to catch the six o'clock train.
·         Farah went to the airport at eight o'clock clock. She was going to fly to Amsterdam.

We can also use was going to for a prediction in the past.

·         We knew something was going to go wrong with the plan.

Would has a similar meaning:

·         I knew something would go wrong with the plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment