Wednesday 28 January 2015

When do we use will, would, shall and should?


"Will" and "would" for predictions:


We can use "will" for a prediction:

  • It's midnight, and James is still working. He'll be tired tomorrow.
  • They're going to Delhi for the weekend.--That will be nice.
We use "would" for a past prediction or a prediction about a possible situation.
PAST:
  • At midnight James was still working. He would be tired the next day.

POSSIBLE:
  • How about going to Netherlands next weekend?--That would be nice. I wouldn't enjoy a camping holiday.
We can use "shall" instead of "will", and "should" instead of "would", but only in the first person, after " I " and  "We".
  • I will/shall go to the party.
  • We would/should like to come with you all.
WRONG USAGE:
  • My friend should like to come with us. ----incorrect.
Shall and Should are a little formal here.

Would like:

We can use would like, usually shortened to 'd like, when we ask for something.
  • I'd like to have coffee.
  • We'd like to order our food now.
  • This is a more polite way of saying: than saying----I want to have coffee.
We also use "would like" in offers and invitations.
  • Would you like a free gift?
  • Would you like to accompany us to the party?

Decisions and refusals:

We can use "will" for an instant decision or for an offer.

DECISION:
  • Tea or Coffee? ---I'll have coffee, please.
OFFER:
  • I'll wait for you if you like.--Thanks a lot. I won't take much time.
We use "won't" and "wouldn't" for a refusal.
  • The strikers won't attend work until all their demands are met
  • The key went in the lock, but it wouldn't turn.
  • I won't....is a strong refusal.
  • I won't listen to her anymore.

Shall and Should:

We use "Shall I".....?..in offers and "Shall we".....? in suggestions.

OFFER:
  • Shall I wait for you?---Thanks a lot, I won't take much time.
SUGGESTION:
  •  Shall we go to the party?---Good idea.
We use either "Shall" or "Should" to ask advice.
  • I'm facing a terrible predicament. What shall/ should I do?
We use "Should" to say what is the appropriate thing to do.
  • People should be honest.
  • We should exercise regularly.
  • You shouldn't be a spendthrift.


No comments:

Post a Comment