Tuesday 3 February 2015

Permission: can, may, could and be allowed to
















A. Asking Permission:

We use "can", "could" or "may" to ask for permission.
  • Can I use your bike?
  • Could I borrow your pen, please? ---Well, you can, I'm not using at the moment.
  • May I see the letter? ---Certainly.

"Could" often sounds more polite than "can".
May is rather formal.

B. Giving and refusing permission.

To give permission we use can or may (but not could).
  • You can wait in the lobby if you like.
  • Could I borrow your car? ---Of course you can.
  • You may telephone from here. (Written communication)

May is formal and not often used in speech.

To refuse permission we use "can't" or "may not" (but not couldn't).
  • Could we party here? ---I'm sorry. I'm afraid you can't.
  • Members may not bring more than three guests into the club. We can also use "must not".
  • Kids must not be left unattended.

C. Talking about permission

We sometimes talk about rules made by someone else. To do this we use "can", "could" and "be allowed to".

We use "can" to talk about the present, and we use "could" for the past.
  • Present: Each student can talk to the Principal turn wise.
  • Past: In the 1920s you could drive without taking a test.

We can also use "be allowed to".
  • Present: Students are allowed to talk to the Principal turn wise.
  • Future: Will I be allowed to take a nap, please?
  • Past: We weren't allowed to have an interaction with the organizers of the show.

For a general permission in the past we use either "could" or "was/were allowed to."
  • I was always allowed to drink occasionally.
  • I could always drink occasionally.

However, to say that the permission resulted in a particular action, something that really happened, we use was/were allowed to (but not could).
  • I was allowed to take her for a drive yesterday.
  • We were allowed to meet our idol after the concert.


Happy Learning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment