Friday 4 July 2014

Gobbledygook elucidates us on.....The Present Continuous tense

Powered by: Eezee English Zone


The Present Continuous tense :-
Form: Subject+ am/is/are + ing form:
Examples:-
  • He+is+writing+a letter.
  • I +am+eating +an orange.
  • They+ are+ playing.


I-----------Am           
He--------is 
We-------are
She------is
You-------are
It-----------is 
They------are















When do we use Present Continuous Tense:
  • To express an action in progress at the time of speaking.

Examples
  • The baby is sleeping  in its room.
  • The boys are playing cricket.
  • We are watching a movie.
  • The man is rebuking/reprimanding/scolding the child.

Kindly note:- The Present Continuous Tense draws attention to the continuity of action. It is usually associated with adverbs or adverb phrases of present time such as now, at this moment, at present, etc.
In addition, Simple Present Tense is used for habitual action. However, when the reference is to a particularly obstinate habit-something which persists, in spite of giving a caveat/warning-we use the Present Continuous Tense with an adverb like always, continually, constantly.Example:My son is very obdurate/ stubborn; he is always running out into the busy road.
  • To describe a temporary action going on over a period of time, including the present, but may not be going on at the time of speaking:

Examples :
  • I am reading 'David Copperfield' (but I am not reading at this moment.)
  • I am learning German.(nowadays)
  • Simran is doing research at the university.
  • Galileo is working in a factory.


  • To describe about an action that has already been arranged to take place in the near future; as,

Examples: 
  • I am going to a party tonight.
  • I am leaving for Mysore tomorrow.
  • My father is arriving day after tomorrow.
  • Next week she is inviting all her friends to her birthday party.


Kindly note; some verbs, on account to their meanings, aren't used in the Present Continuous form. These are as follows:-

  1. Verbs denoting perception: see, hear, smell, recognize, notice, etc.   Normally we don't say- ' I am smelling a rose.'
    1. we say- 'I smell a rose.'
    2. we don't say-' I am seeing a bus.'
    3. we say-' I see a bus.' 
  2. Verbs of appearing: 
    1. appear
    2.  look
    3. seem 
  3. Verbs expressing feelings or state of mind: love, hate, wish, want, desire, feel, like, hope, refuse, prefer, forgive, etc. Normally we don't say- I am loving you. I am hating you.
    1.  We say: I love you.         
    2.  I hate you.
  4. Verbs of thinking or some mental activity: think, remember, believe, suppose, know, understand, imagine, mean, mind, agree, consider, trust.
  5. Verbs of possession: possess, own, belong to, contain, consist of.
    1. These lemons are tasting sour----incorrect.-These lemons taste sour.-----correct.
    2. I am thinking you are intelligent.----incorrect.- I think you are intelligent.----correct.
    3. She is seeming sad.------incorrect.- She seems sad.------correct.
    4. He is having a swanky car.------incorrect.- He has a swanky car.-------correct.

However, the verbs listed above can be used in the continuous tenses with a change in the meaning:
  • She is tasting the soup to see if it needs more salt.( test the flavor)
  • I am thinking of buying a new house.( consider the idea of)
  • They are having supper. (have-eat)
  • Don't be tense !!!


Happy Tense-ing!!! :)
                     


No comments:

Post a Comment