Tuesday 15 July 2014

Present Continuous or Present Simple----confused which one to use?

By Ranjana S.


Let us recapitulate the concepts to understand the difference:
















Image Source: Internet


»»»» At this moment or Sometimes

Present Continuous:

We use the Present Continuous for something happening now. "I am dancing on the stage" means that I am in the middle of a dance performance on the stage.
Some more illustrations:
  • It's raining at the moment.
  • I'm watching this movie.
  • The man is chasing the dog.

Present Simple:

We use the Present Simple for repeated actions." I often dance on special occasions" means I do this activity again and again.
  • He watches soap opera most weekends.
  • It always rains at the weekend.
  • She likes gardening.


»»»» States,feelings and thoughts:

Usually we use Present Simple

>>to talk about feelings and thoughts.

  • I think he will woo her.
  • Maria likes her job.

>>to talk about states, permanent facts and universal truths.

  • Magnanimity means a lot to her. (state)
  • Paper burns easily.(fact)
  • The earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the sun.(universal fact)

>>We also use the Present Simple in 'I promise', 'I agree', ' I refuse', etc.

  • I promise to be with you forever.
  • I forgive you for your actions.
  • I agree with the terms and conditions in the contract.
  • I refuse to pay my bills.


»»»» Temporary occurrence or Permanent ?

Present Continuous:
We use the Present Continuous for a routine or situation that is for a short duration or temporary.

  • I am learning English at the institute for two weeks.
  • At the moment they are living in a guest house.


Present Simple:
We use the Present Simple for a routine or situation that is permanent.

  • I work at the parlor. It's a permanent job.
  • The Robinsons live in a mansion.

»»»» Always.

Present Continuous:
We usually use 'always' with the present continuous to mean 'very often'.

  • Polly is always scolding her kids.(she scolds them very often.)
  • He is always driving  irresponsibly.( He drives rashly too often.)


Present Simple:
We usually use 'always' with the Present Simple to mean 'every time'.

  • Polly always scolds her kids. (She scolds her kids always.)
  • He always drives irresponsibly.( He drives irresponsibly every time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment