Thursday 17 July 2014

Look, what Gobbledygook has to say today.....

Gobbledygook:Powered by Eezee English Zone
By Ranjana S.

He's bent upon teaching us about "State verbs and Action verbs". Let's lend our ears to him.










Gobbledygook says.....

§  States- A state means which stays the same.
  
       »» The boy owns a bike.
       »» The house is immaculate.
       »» The container contained oil.

*** State verbs cannot usually be continuous.
    We can't say- The boy is owning a bike.

§  Actions- An action means something happening.
  
         »»  The boy is cleaning his bike.
         »» The maid is decorating the house.
         »» We put the oil in the container.

*** Action verbs can be simple or continuous.
     She decorates/ She was decorating the house.

State verbs:
 Understand, seem, resemble, matter, mean, like, love, hate, belong, consist of, depend on, exist, know, own, need, prefer, remember, deserve, belong, believe, be.

Let's clarify the difference with the help of some illustrations:

STATES---- (simple tenses).

§  I think she is pretty (you believe).
§  We have two houses ( you own).
§  I come from India (you live).
§  I see her perspective (you understand)
§  This painting looks nice.
§  He appears scared ( it seems)
§  The bag weighed ten kilos.
§  The coat fits (it's the right size).

ACTIONS--- ( simple or continuous).

      §  I'm thinking about your problem.
§  We're having dinner (eating).
§  I'm coming from India (travelling).
§  Maria is seeing Dennis (meeting).
§  I see Michelle quite often (meet).
§  I'm looking at the portrait.
§  She was appearing/appeared pensive.
§  The custom officials were weighing/weighed my bag.
§  I'm fiiting a lock to the window.
    
 These examples with the verb 'be' are about people's behaviour.

»»»»»Permanent behaviour:

§  Charlotte is a gregarious person.
§  That boy is a nincompoop.

»»»»»Temporary behaviour:

§  Charlotte is being very gregarious today.
§  That boy is being a nincompoop this morning.

We use am/are/is being only to talk about behaviour, not about other things.

§  I'm better today.
§  Are you prepared?
§  Is anyone interested?

We can use some state verbs in the continuous to talk about a short period of time:

»»»»»Permanent state( simple tenses)

§  I love sufi songs.
§  I enjoy ice-creams.
§  Holidays cost a lot of money.

»»»»»Temporary state( continuous )

§  I'm loving the song you've played.
§  I'm enjoying ice cream at the parlor.
§  This trip is costing me a lot of money.

Look at the conversation below to give a clear understanding about State verbs and Action verbs:

 Anna: Hi, Joe. What do you look at---x
 What are you looking at?

 Joe: Oh, hi. These are paper cuttings of  automobiles. You know I have a fascination for such    collections.

 Ann: Oh, look at this car. I'm thinking-----x
 I think this one is awesome.

Joe: Look here. I'm having------x
I have some more pictures here.

Ann: Why didn't you stick this car's picture in your collection?
Joe: Actually, this picture was too large. It  wasn't fitting-----x. It didn't fit properly.

Ann: Oh, I'm seeing----x I see. You are seeming------x. 
You seem to be very happy to pursue your hobby.

Joe: Yep, I'm having a huge collection------x
I have a huge collection and I'm thinking of expanding it.

Ann: Great!!


Happy Verb-ing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment